Shooting Suspect In Custody After Holding Police In Standoff For Over 15 hours In Calumet City; Bishop Ford Freeway Reopens – CBS Chicago

Ad Blocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

CALUMET CITY, Ill. (CBS) — A man is in custody after barricading himself in a mobile home after police said he shot another man, and then fired at officers.

As CBS 2’s Marissa Parra reported, the Bishop Ford had been closed between Sibley Boulevard and Dolton Avenue for eight hours as of 10 p.m. We are told it was because of the proximity of the freeway to the mobile home in which police said the suspect was barricaded.

READ MORE: Fox Valley Habitat For Humanity Plans Huge Housing Development For Veterans In Kendall County — But Deadline To Buy Land Is Tight

The Bishop Ford reopened at 3:30 a.m. Monday and the over 15-hour standoff ended after 7 a.m.

Calumet City Interim Police Chief Kevin Koloch said just before 2 p.m., a man was shot in the 100 block of State Street in the south suburb. The 62-year-old man was taken to an area hospital with multiple gunshot wounds.

Police believe the victim had a confrontation with the gunman in which the gunman might also have been shot, but that was not confirmed Sunday night.

Meanwhile, the suspect – a 52-year-old man – fled the scene to his residence in a mobile home park in the 100 block of Maple Court, Koloch said.

“Officers attempted to make contact with the suspect at his residence,” Koloch said. “As officers approached, several shots were fired at the police.”

A standoff began at that point, and remained in progress late in the nighttime hours Sunday and into Monday morning. Police have not confirmed there were no hostages.

Meanwhile, traffic was still being diverted off the Bishop Ford in both directions between Sibley Boulevard and Dolton Avenue late Sunday night — keeping the expressway clear within a mile radius of the mobile home.

READ MORE: Cook County Offering Free Resources For National Small Business Week

Loading...

Calumet City spokesman Sean Howard said the standoff was isolated to one unit in the mobile home park, but Illinois State Police still decided to keep the Bishop Ford closed.

“It’s in close proximity to the affected area and State Police made that decision to shut down for safety precautions,” he said.

Ambulances and fire trucks were also sent to the scene as a precautionary measure to ensure public safety with a SWAT team present, Howard said.

MORE NEWS: 3 Women, 2 Men Shot Near Chicago Bulls College Prep High School On Near West Side

“There’s no immediate danger to the public,” said Calumet City Mayor Thaddeus Jones, who was just sworn into office o Saturday.

Source link
#Shooting #Suspect #Custody #Holding #Police #Standoff #hours #Calumet #City #Bishop #Ford #Freeway #Reopens #CBS #Chicago

Leave a Reply