- Man United announced on Monday that Mason Greenwood would leave the club.
- Greenwood is looking for a new team but is unlikely to play in England again
- WATCH: ‘It’s All Kicking Off’ – Episode 2 – Mail Sport’s new football show
Mason Greenwood reportedly fears he may not have any chance of resurrecting his career in Saudi Arabia due to an ongoing dispute with Cristiano Ronaldo.
The 21-year-old is looking for a new club following news on Monday that he would be leaving Manchester United after they conducted an internal inquiry into his future.
Greenwood, who was arrested in January 2022 on suspicion of a range of offences, including attempted rape, will not play for United again and is likely to go on loan or see his contract terminated. The Crown Prosecution Service subsequently dropped the charges in February this year after key witnesses withdrew and new material came to light.
But Greenwood has not played for United, which has launched its own investigation, since his arrest. That investigation lasted for five months, after which United discovered that Greenwood did not commit the crimes of which he was accused, but also concluded that it would be better for everyone if his future was away from Old Trafford.
And, according to The Sun, Greenwood, who has been linked with clubs in Saudi Arabia, believes that route may not be possible after a comment he made about Ronaldo when he was younger.
While the Portuguese superstar was playing for Real Madrid, where he won numerous honors and highlighted his status as one of the greatest players of all time, Greenwood was reported to have said openly that Ronaldo’s career was “dead”. when referencing the 38-year-old’s perceived decline.
He received a reprimand from United bosses at the time who felt it showed a lack of maturity on his part.
The comment surfaced in March this year as the pair had spent time together as teammates when Ronaldo returned to Old Trafford for a second time in 2021.
However, the report went on to say that when the striker was made aware of Greenwood’s comments, he flew into a rage and urged Saudi League bosses never to make a move for the Englishman.
A source told The Sun: ‘Ronaldo is not known for his thick skin. He was really upset by what Greenwood said, but he has good reason to be when you consider what Ronaldo has achieved in his career and where Greenwood is at.
“Greenwood had his nose twisted when Ronaldo signed for United because he ended up playing a lot less than he expected, so their relationship was difficult.”
Ronaldo was the first big name to move to the Saudi Pro League when he joined Al-Nassr late last year and is reportedly highly influential in the kingdom, meaning his anti-Greenwood sentiment likely has a big impact on the situation.
The source added: ‘Ronaldo is treated like royalty in Saudi Arabia and what he says comes true.
“He would have enough leverage there to stop clubs from signing Greenwood if he wanted to.”
The report also indicated that Saudi league bosses are wary of making a move for Greenwood anyway, as the kingdom already suffers from poor public relations.
Meanwhile, Mail Sport revealed on Monday night how clubs from Turkey and Italy have contacted United over Greenwood, although Roma, led by former Red Devils manager Mourinho, have distanced themselves after being linked to the 21-year-old.
Al-Ettifaq boss Steven Gerrard has also insisted he does not want to sign Greenwood and dismissed rumors linking the striker to his side as “fake news”.
EVERYTHING IS STARTING!
It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football.
It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube, Apple Music and Spotify.
#Mason #Greenwood #fears #wont #join #club #Saudi #Arabia #dispute #Cristiano #Ronaldo #AlNassr #stars #career #DEAD #Man #Uniteds #academy