Manchester City’s transfer of West Ham midfielder Lucas Paquetá is canceled due to an FA investigation into him for alleged betting offences; a £80m deal was agreed in principle last week; Paquetá is due to be interviewed by the FA as part of their investigation; he denies wrongdoing
By Kaveh Solhekol, chief reporter for Sky Sports News
15:59 UK Tuesday 22 August 2023
Manchester City’s £80m move to sign Lucas Paquetá from West Ham has been called off amid an FA betting investigation into the midfielder.
An £80m deal was agreed in principle last week before West Ham was informed on Wednesday that the Brazil international was the subject of an FA investigation over alleged betting offences.
There was a very slim chance on Friday morning that the transfer could still go through, but now there is absolutely no chance of that happening.
Paquetá is due to be interviewed by the FA as part of their investigation and he denies any wrongdoing.
The investigation began when a higher number of bets than usual were placed in Brazil on Paquetá receiving a yellow card in West Ham’s home game against Aston Villa on March 12, 2023.
Paaqueta received a yellow card from referee Chris Kavanagh in the 70th minute of a 1–1 draw for a tackle on John McGinn.
The bets were reported to the International Gambling Integrity Association, who alerted FIFA and the FA.
A FIFA spokesman said: “As a general policy, we do not comment on whether or not investigations are being carried out into such alleged cases.”
The 25-year-old has been omitted from Brazil’s squad for next month’s World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Bolivia.
Paquetá, who has four years left on his West Ham contract, was signed nine times by club and national team last season.
Moyes: Paquetá performed ‘very well’ in Chelsea win
Despite the investigation, Paquetá started and scored in Sunday’s 3-1 home win over Chelsea with Hammers boss David Moyes delighted with his performance after a difficult week.
Moyes said: “65,000 people were rooting for him because they know his ability and what he brings to the table. He gives us a different type of player.
“He’s a really good player, a hard-working guy and I think he performed very well.”
Doku to undergo Man City medical ahead of £55.5m move
Manchester City have reached a £55.5m deal to sign Rennes winger Jeremy Doku, who is expected to travel to the North West on Tuesday for a medical.
The 21-year-old is seen as a replacement for Riyad Mahrez, who joined Saudi Arabia’s Al Ahli for £30m last month.
The Belgium international had been linked with several Premier League teams this summer, and West Ham turned down an offer for him earlier this month.
If Doku completes the move to the Etihad Stadium, he will become Pep Guardiola’s third summer signing in this transfer window, after Mateo Kovacic and Josko Gvardiol.
West Ham continue search for Kudus
West Ham have not given up on signing Ajax midfielder Mohammed Kudus after an opening offer was rejected.
The Ghanaian played the full game in Ajax’s draw at Excelsior on Saturday and the Dutch club want him to stay even though he entered the last two years of his contract.
West Ham manager Tim Steidten was in the Netherlands last week to speak face to face with Ajax.
A source has told us West Ham are taking encouragement that the 23-year-old is open to a move.
Follow the summer transfer window with Sky Sports
Who will be on the move this summer before the transfer window closes at 11pm on September 1 in England and midnight in Scotland?
Keep up to date with the latest transfer news and rumors on our dedicated Transfer Center blog at sky sports digital platforms. You can also catch up with the ins and outs and analysis of Sky Sports News.
#Lucas #Paquetá #Man #Citys #80m #transfer #move #West #Ham #midfielder #canceled #betting #investigation #football #news