Longtime Orioles owner Peter Angelos dies at 94

Join Fox News to access this content

Plus special access to selected articles and other premium content with your account – for free.

Please enter a valid email address.

By entering your email address and pressing Continue, you agree to the Fox News Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which includes our Financial Incentive Notice. To access the content, check your email and follow the instructions provided.

To have problems? Click here.

The Baltimore Orioles announced that their longtime owner, Peter Angelos, died Saturday at the age of 94.

Angelos and other investors purchased the franchise in 1993 for $173 million, and due to his health in recent years, his sons, John and Louis, took over main operations in 2019.

“Mr. Angelos had been ill for several years and the family thanks the doctors, nurses and caregivers who brought him comfort during his final years,” the team said. said in a statement. “Mr. Angelos wished to have a private burial, and the family asks for understanding in honoring this request. Donations may be sent to charity in lieu of flowers.”

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Pierre Angelos

Peter Angelos, owner of the Baltimore Orioles (Getty Images)

Shortly after purchasing the team, Angelos made the O's a playoff contender, signing big free agents, including Rafael Palmeiro, before the 1994 season. The O's reached the ALCS in 1996 and 1997, but missed the playoffs over the next 14 seasons.

The franchise is now once again one of the best in the league. The Orioles are coming off a 101-win season in which they won the AL East as one of the most surprising teams in the league.

Peter Angelos at the conference

Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos speaks during a news conference August 16, 2002, at baseball headquarters in New York. (Stan Honda/AFP via Getty Images)

MLB LAUNCHES FORMAL INVESTIGATION INTO GAMING SCANDAL INVOLVING SHOHEI OHTANI PERFORMER IPPEI MIZUHARA

Their young core of Adley Rutschman, Gunnar Henderson, Ryan Mountcastle and Jackson Holliday should pair well with veterans like Corbin Burnes, Craig Kimbrel, Cedric Mullins and Anthony Santander.

In January, the Angelos family agreed to sell the club to private equity billionaires David Rubenstein and Mike Arougheti. The sale price is estimated at $1.725 billion, and Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr. is also an investor.

The sale came after John and Louis found themselves in legal drama over the team's future. Louis claimed that John and their mother, Georgia, were forcing Louis out of the family fortune.

Peter Angelos and Cal Ripken Jr.

Owner Peter Angelos talks with Cal Ripken Jr. (8) of the Baltimore Orioles October 6, 2001, at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore. (Focus on sport/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Rubenstein and Arougheti are expected to initially purchase 40% of the franchise before acquiring the remaining 60% at a later date. The estimated timetable for closing the deal remains unclear.

Follow Fox News Digital sports coverage onand subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.



Source

Leave a Comment